On Wednesday last week we presented our second Scratch playtest at the London Science Museum. Around eight participants came to help us trial the different games we’ve been working on, to calibrate and attempt to break them.
One of the nicest things about the event was simply the fact that we laid out our set for the first time in this whole process – we’ve been doing a lot of talking, and it makes a world of difference to be able to lay out the pieces and see how the whole thing looks in practice.
We tried out three key games, based on the Site Construction, Access and Amenities sub-systems. These are three of our ‘all-in’ games, where the whole audience is engaged, more or less. Here’s a clip of the Amenities game:
And this is the Access game, where the participants lay paths to connect the different buildings.
Several things jumped out immediately from the experience, but the biggest one was that all the games more or less worked. There’s a lot of tidying to be done, a lot of details to be worked out, and in several cases, variations on the games to be decided between. But overall, I think we all walked away from the scratch feeling like it was a success – that this show, as bizarre as it is, is actually a fun experience for audiences.
Then we took off overseas for three days to Germany to attend Spieletage – but I’ll let someone else talk about that.